Thursday, February 21, 2008

after attending a meeting at concourse office, I was in city area early this evening. so I happily wandered around the shopping complex, checking out a few stores. bought donuts from J.Co. and then went to the countdown of YOG announcement at the padang.

J.Co donuts were great! I like their donuts better than those from donut factory, munchies, missy, etc. although the queue was not that long, they only had a few flavours available when I went there, almost all the trays were empty.

actually I just found out about the YOG countdown announcement this morning. and since I happened to be there, I decided to check it out. and it looked like a mini version of NDP. students clad in red and green t-shirts (I understand the red, but the green?), waving flags, cheering and clapping.

there's a stage in front of city hall with 2 big screens showing some YOG-related clips, followed by live telecast from Lausanne, Switzerland on the announcement of the winner of the bid - the city selected to host the inaugural youth olympic games in 2010. initially there were 9 bidders, then last november it was narrowed down to 5. in january contenders were pared down to just 2 cities: singapore and moscow.

it's good that singapore won. I can't imagine how the countdown would feel like otherwise. after the announcement, the spirit was high, speech was made, colorful baloons were released, confetti were thrown.

pardon the photo quality, as I forgot to bring my ixus with me today.

No comments: