Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Girl on the Train

Wondered what the hype around The Girl on the Train is all about and so decided to read it because the premises sound promising. Psychological thriller, my kind of book.

The gist of the story is an alcoholic, who happens to take a commuter train very regularly, trying to figure out the mystery of a missing girl. The story is told in first person point of view, by different main female characters; and by going back and forth between dates and time.

I found the story rather depressing, and had a hard time relating to the main characters. Despite all those, it still is a good read, with an excellent ending too.


Hollowness: that I understand. I'm starting to believe that there isn't anything you can do to fix it. That's what I've taken from the therapy sessions: the holes in your life are permanent. You have to grow around them, like tree roots around concrete; you mould yourself through the gaps.


Who's to say that once I run, I'll find that isn't enough? Who's to say I won't end up feeling exactly the way I do right now - not safe, but stifled? Maybe I'll want to run again, and again, and eventually I'll end up back by those old tracks, because there's nowhere left to go. Maybe. Maybe not. You have to take the risk, don't you?


(The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins)

No comments: